Dental crowns or ‘caps’ are often required to treat heavily restored teeth that may have broken or are at risk of breaking.
Each crown provided at High Street Dental Practice is bespoke constructed by expert dental technicians using some of the best materials available.
Crowns can be made from a variety of ceramic materials (such as porcelain) and metal alloys. Where a natural appearance is required they can be colour matched to the adjacent teeth ensuring a natural as possible smile.
The most obvious advantage of a dental crown is that it provides a strong outer surface, affording for long term function whilst at the same time protecting the underlying tooth structure. The process of tooth reduction is not without risk, so each case needs to be carefully assessed to determine whether this is in your best interest.
- The tooth is reduced from the top and the sides for it to accommodate the crown. Different types of crowns may require different levels of tooth preparation. Typically, crowns made entirely of a metal alloy require the least reduction.
- Impressions are then taken to allow our experienced dental technicians the ability to replicate the teeth and begin construction of a dental crown.
- Where an aesthetic tooth coloured style of crown is required, our dentists will seek to colour match this to the natural shade of your teeth.
- In between appointments, a temporary crown will be made to keep the tooth covered.
- Once your bespoke made crown has been constructed we will then remove the temporary crown and adhere the finalised crown using a long term dental adhesive.
If crowns are well looked after, and that includes keeping the surrounding teeth healthy, they may last for years.
Excellent cleaning, especially in between the teeth is essential to ensure that the crown continues to function well.